Nancy
Nancy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Nurse Director of ECT Services, RN, BSN, Critical Care, Psychiatric, Anesthesia, 16 yrs, I Care
1773718

i get a real sharp pain up where my left leg connects ...

Customer Question

i get a real sharp pain up where my left leg connects to my hip (deep groin area) and i cant move it for awhile this happens sitting or standing and its real painful
Category: Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

It is worse after you have been sitting or lying down for awhile??

When did you first notice this pain?

Have you done any unusual activity or strenous activity, heavy lifting??

What is your height and weight?

TAKE GOOD CARE! NANCY

***********************************************************************************
If this was HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT!!!!

Also, does it feel like it is in your hip joint??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am 5'7" about 180lbs it could be sitting or standing but I cant move my hip/groin joint when it happens it just all of a sudden happens serious sharp pain
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Did you get that info ? Thankyou !
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

This sounds like it caould be bursitis in your hip joint. Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa. Bursa are the small, fluid filled sacs that lubricate and absorb shock between your bones and the meuscles and tendons around your joints. They allow for smooth movement of your joints.

Inflammation can cause a sharp, severe kind of "catching" pain in the joint with movement. This pain is often worse after the joint has been rested and gradually feels a little better as you move the joint.

Bursitis is usually caused by a repitive type of stress to the joint and can happen at anytime. For example, you may have been doing the same repetitive action of getting in and out of your car or truck for awhile and suddenly you get this pain. It is beacuse the repetitive stress has set up inflammation in the bursa. Hip bursitis can also be caused by prolonged kneeling or squatting. It can also be caused by sitting or standing for a lon time.

Usually burisitis pain goes away in about a week. Take an anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Naprosyn). Rest is and apply ice to the joint for 10 minutes at a time about 4-6 times a day.

If the pain doesn't go away in about a week, see your docotr for an x-ray of the joint to rule out other problems like arthritis. Very rarely bursitis can be caused by an infection in the joint which will need treatment with antibiotics.

Are you otherwise healthy? Are you on any medications?

There are multiple causes of joint inflammation, so if this becomes more painful, stops you from being able to walk, you develop a fever, or you notice pain in any other joints, seek medical attention right away.

Take Good Care! Nancy

*******************************************************

Please click ACCEPT if this was helpful!

Nancy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Nurse Director of ECT Services, RN, BSN, Critical Care, Psychiatric, Anesthesia, 16 yrs, I Care
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do stand at my job all day. Thankyou Nancy take care yourself !