NurseElisa
NurseElisa, LPN
Experience:  30 years, critical care, home care, management, coronary care, gastroenterology, sex!
2394417

When I was 3 years old, I got bit on the penis by a dog

When I was 3 years old, I got bit on the penis by a dog. The tip of my penis closed up and the doctor had to go in and reopen my hole. My doctor put a tube up me and looked to see if there was any damage. He couldn't find any damage. After the dog bite I have been wetting the bed. I am 22 now and I still wet the bed. What could be wrong?
Category: Health
Expert:  NurseElisa replied 10 years ago.
A valve can be damaged and scarred as a result. You say the doctor looked and didn't see any damage - but these days, medical technology is far more superior.

You should see a Urologist and try to get to the bottom of this.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
the only thing is it only happens once in awhile, i have went up to almost a year, but recently it has got worse, like once a week.
Increase of scar tissue can cause this. Since it is worsening over time, this is probably the cause, as we develop scar tissue over time vs. an immediate problem due to trauma or swelling.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
if it is because of scar tissue than why can i hold in my urine during the day but at night i have no idea i have done it until i wake up
Sorry I didn't reply earlier - I had a visitors for a while.

From what I read in medical literature, adult enuresis (bet wetting) from a previous injury can mean that the nerve endings that would normally tell you that your bladder is full and alert you during your sleep is not functioning properly. This can be a result of scar tissue. Scar tissue can grow, so, if this is getting worse, this is a concern. If the pattern has not changed, then the scar tissue may have not grown.

It doesn't happen during the day because the signals you are getting that you have to go to the bathroom is easier to feel when you are awake and more conscious to feel the signals. When you are sleeping, you are not feeling the signals like you would when you are awake. You may not be getting strong enough signals.

Some studies say that sleep apnea can trigger this, so if you have a problem with sleep apnea, given the previous trauma and the diminished signals you may be having, this is why enuresis occurs. Read this article (click below):

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Root-Causes-of-Adult-Enuresis&id=117877

Here is a study that links daytime continence and nighttime incontinence to urinary obstruction (click below):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11371880&dopt=Abstract

So you see, this is something that warrants further investigation. One of these reports said that enuresis can lead to eventual daytime incontinence in men because it can be progressive.

There are some medications that you may want to speak to your doctor about, or using an alarm to train you to get up at certain times. Read this article (click below):

http://www.myhealthsense.com/response_051121-bedWetting.htm

So there are some things that can be tried to see if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful to you.