nurse_Dan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered Nurse, Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Live Support.

What would cause all internal organs to be swollen and ...

Customer Question

What would cause all internal organs to be swollen and inflamed after stomach bypass surgery, the drs said they never saw this before, any clues?
Category: Health
Expert:  nurse_Dan replied 9 years ago.
The thing I would most associate this with is severe infection. We are taking infection all over the body.

I am this gastric bypass has made someone you know very sick. What can happen when they do this procdure they make some cuts in the stomach and they suture them closed. These incisions can open and when they do you have massive infection.

This would cause a severe infection invading her whole body. The organs when then swell.

This is the most probable answer I can thing of. If this is not the cause and she does not have infection then of course this isn't the answer.

I thought I would give you my input. Write me if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The Drs say there is no infection, but how can they know that for certain, just bloodwork? If it isnt an infection what else can it be?
Expert:  nurse_Dan replied 9 years ago.
To rule out infection you check the blood counts, culture the blood, check her urine, culture the urine, get a chest x-ray to look for pheumonia.

These are the basic ways of findind a infection

They should check her tyroid and cortisol levels. Make sure she does not have a hpertyroid and does not have cushing's. This two illness can lead to fluid retention. I have not heard of in in the organs but you would want to rule it out.

I wonder if there is any change she is not getting enough oxygen to her organs. This could certainly cause some swelling.

Let me know what you think if this.
I will do some reasearch as well. Tell you if I find anything.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
a nurse answered and then said if it wasnt an ifection it is something else, I prefer the input of a DR please.