haloprecious, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  graduate in Medicine,experienced in fields of medicine,gynae and pediatrics

Im suddenly peeing a lot -- and not drinking anymore

I'm suddenly peeing a lot -- and not drinking anymore than usual -- what could that mean? I am a 31 year old female.

Frequency of urination can increase under a number of conditions. Most common amoing these are-

• urinary tract infection (UTI) -here you need to go to the toilet even if the amount was very less. The frequency increases but not the amount. This occurs in the initial stages of the infection.
  • Diabetes- if one was diabetic one would experience frequency as well as thirst. One would need to go to the toilet even at the middle of the night.
  • kidney infections leading to acute renal failure can also cause an increase in urination.

For these as well as other less common conditions it is essential that a urine test should be done as an essential first step. If this problem has been occuring since a few days I would suggest not to ignore it and consult a doctor at the earliest. Hope this was useful and you are welcome to ask doubts if any.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I definitely don't have a UTI -- I have had those before and know what they feel like.

I don't think (and hope) its not diabetes -- I have not been drinking more than usual and don't feel overly thirsty at all.

I have no idea if it is a kidney infection -- would there be any pain with this -- any other symptoms?

Thankyou for accepting the answer.

Kidney infections maynot necessarily be accompanied by pain.

There is another reason which can cause such a symptom which I forgot to mention earlier. It is a reproductive tract tumor like a fibroid which maybe encroaching upon the bladder and causing the sensation of bladder filling up. Again if the tumor is not on the inner side of the uterus it may not manifest menstrual disturbances.

Often excess cups of coffee or tea can also cause one to urinate frequently as these act like diuretics. But I would request you to go for a urine test just to be on the safe side especially if you've had UTIs in the past or have someone in the family who has diabetes. Hope this was useful.