Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN with over 9 years of clinical experience.
2652662

Does a woman vaginal discharge change after she turns 45 ...

Does a woman vaginal discharge change after she turns 45 years old and before menopause?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I am Doctor SJW and I would like to help you with your question.

With menopause, the vaginal environmet can change significantly. If you are not yet menopausal, it is also possible that you are in the period called "perimenopause" which means that you are stioll having periods, but your body is in the process of transitioning into full menopause.

There is nothing magical about the age of 45, except that it is a normal age when many women start the period of perimenopause.

Among many other changes in the body, the vagina typically becomes more dry, and the discharge can be more clear or darker depending on the person. Certain bacterial infections can also be more common which also can effect the discharge. Irregular bleeding can also have an effect on the discharge, and this is common during perimenopause.

I hope this answers your question. If it was helpful, please remember to hit the "ACCEPT" button.

If you have any more questions, or you would like to chat, please feel free to ask me. Good Luck! Dr. SJW
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Doctor SJW's Post: Maybe my questions was not clear. Does the vaginal discharge of a woman of 46 years old smell different from a younger woman? I have my annual exam and everything was OK.
Expert:  Dr. Saul replied 7 years ago.
It may smell different because of any of the causes that I mentioned in the e-mail before. However, if the smell is bothersome, it is most likely that you have bacterial vaginosis. This can be easily treated by your doctor, and it is worthwhile to have it evaluated.

It is more common to have bacterial vaginosis during perimenopause.

Obviously, this is not the only possible cause of the change in odor. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is, that if it is just a change but it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a nuisance or uncomfortable, it probably is a sign of an infection, and it should be treated.

Dr. Saul, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Board Certified OB/GYN with over 9 years of clinical experience.