Dr. Saul
Dr. Saul, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified OB/GYN with over 9 years of clinical experience.
2652662

IM 55 YEARS OLD . I HAVE A VAGINAL DISCHARGE THAT IS WHITE ...

IM 55 YEARS OLD . I HAVE A VAGINAL DISCHARGE THAT IS WHITE MILKY THICK & HAS A BAD ODOR. I HAD MY UTRIS REMOVED WHEN I WAS 28 . SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT THIS.
Hi I am Doctor SJW and I would like to help with your problem.

There are many things that can cause these symptoms in a woman in your age group. It needs to be treated properly because it can get worse. Some of the possibiltie that come to mind are as follows.

The first that comes to mind is vaginal atrophy which occurs after your ovaries stop making hormones. However, the odor is not typical for this problem. If your doctor thinks that this is the cause, he or she may prescribe some topical estrogens to apply to your vagina.

Another possibilty is a yeast infection, which can occur in any age group. This can be easily diagnosed and treated wioth anti yeast medications. Although yeast typically doesn't have a bad odor, sometimes it may be mixed with other infections that do cause odors.

A third possibility is bacterial vaginosis (BV). The discharge in BV is usually described as grayish, but certainly can appear in different colors. The odor is very typical of this infection.

Other possibilties include hypersensitivity to some substance to which you ar being exposed, various sexually transmitted infections, other conditions common to postmenopause such as lichen sclerosis and lichen planus, and more possibilities.

I hope that this answers your question. If it was helpful, please remember to hit the "ACCEPT" button and leave some feedback. This will help me be available to help others in similar situations.

If you have any more questions, or if you would like to chat, please feel free to ask me. Good Luck! Dr. SJW