Pam
Pam, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  17 years of RN experience. Most of my experience has been Director of Nursing.
1636256

My husband has a bump near his rectum, It does not hurt ...

My husband has a bump near his rectum, It does not hurt currently - but has swollen (like a big zit - trying to come to a head)- he is worried about it, what could this be? And what treatment should we seek?
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

Can you tell me how long this has been there? What if anything have you done so far?

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: It has been there about two weeks - he discovered it in the shower. We have not done anything about it yet. The skin around the area is a little red and it feels like a little knot. Almost like maybe there is an ingrown hair there that is infected - but he doesn't think that is it. I'm not sure how else to describe it. He's worried it might be cancer or something. His dad has prostate cancer - so that's been on his mind a lot. It isn't on his butt hole - but about an inch away from it.
This sounds to me like a boil. My recommendation would be to apply hot compresses 4 to 5 times a day. This should help this come to the surface and develop a head. DO NOT squeeze or lance this at all. With hot compresses it should open by itself and hopefully drain. Within a couple of days if it is looking like it is going to come to a head, go ahead and continue. If it opens, let it drain and then put some antibiotic cream on this place at least 3 times a day. Before you put the cream on, you might keep putting warm compresses and be sure and clean it really well before you put the ointment on. This should clear it up. After several days of doing this and nothing has changed, then I would see a doctor so the doctor could lance this and provide you with antibiotics. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Pam Russell
Registered Nurse