NurseElisa, LPN
Experience:  30 years, critical care, home care, management, coronary care, gastroenterology, sex!

My 14 year old son has enlarged breasts and nipples.

Customer Question

My 14 year old son has enlarged breasts and nipples. Is this a hormone problem? Does this have to do with growth problems associated with the medication he takes for ADHD (e.g. Concerta 2 - 36 mg. 1 time day)?
Category: Health
Expert:  NurseElisa replied 9 years ago.
According to the manufacturer, this is not a consideration as a side effect. The growth problems the doctor looks for during the course of administration of Concerta has to do with height and weight only.

You should speak to your doctor about having some hormone testing done - blood tests. This could be a social impairment for him, so get to the bottom of this.

Here is info about side effects of Concerta:
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to NurseElisa's Post: It is a social impairment. He is embarrassed and won't go out for swimming. Why would his pediatrition soothesay it when I brought it up? If it is hormonal, what type of treatment is prescribed? How does the treatment prescribed affect him? How long does it take? What side effects? How common is this? Thank you.
This is a common thing with obese children. The doctor will not order any hormones because he isn't finished with puberty yet (puberty usually ends by 18 or 19).

You have to figure out a lifestyle change for him. Turn off the TV, computers, video games, enroll him in activities that stimulate his mind and body.

It is unusual for a child with ADHD to have a weight problem. Usually their energy levels are very high - like bouncing off the walls! I have an ADHD daughter and it was non-stop since she was 3 or 4.

Taking off his shirt to go swimming is usually a seasonal issue - he has to work on his body and his confidence. This will take a lot of searching and fine-tuning by both his parents and him. Also, change his diet to high fiber and complex carbohydrates. No fries, potatoes, rice, bread, etc. Add more whole grains (not "enriched") and green vegetables. Sugar-free alternatives as well as fresh fruit and veggies are great for snacks and provides excellent nutrition.

It's a big lifestyle change, but he is suffering because of his current choices. And as parents, you have to lead by example.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to NurseElisa's Post: My son is active. He works weight lifts 2-3 times per week and takes jiu jitsu 2 times per week. He is dieting. The trouble with time released Concerta is that it wears off at night and that is when he tends to eat most. Also, he is not very social since the medicine inhibits his free expression.
The medication does not inhibit free expression at all.

This is another red flag about the diagnosis of ADHD.

Was he diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician? This is an important thing to do. If he was diagnosed by his regular pediatrician, I would seek a second opinion about this with a developmental pediatrician who is an expert in diagnostic tests and prescriptions for children.

I have a daughter with ADD/ADHD and her medication wore off about 3 PM. So the doctor gave us a prescription for 5mg. of ritalin to take at that time. She was taking her concerta every morning at 6 or 6:30 AM.

You should make him a larger lunch (if he takes it to school) and a snack after school so that he doesn't eat the bulk of his meals at night. If anything, this should be his smaller meal.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to NurseElisa's Post: Thank you for your concern. He was diagnosed by a pediatric neurologist when he was in preschool. Our family also met with a nurse and sociologist at that time. The neurologist referred us back to his pediatrician a few years ago. I will discuss this with his pediatrician again to see if we need to see a sociologist again. Your help is appreciated.