nurse_Dan
nurse_Dan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered Nurse, Certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Pediatric Advanced Live Support.
2498059

How do I know if i am dehydrated I have been sick for 3 ...

Customer Question

How do I know if i am dehydrated? I have been sick for 3 weeks with diarrhea and nausea, today I am very fatigued, I have a headache, and I am not urinating very much, not as much as I have drank.
Category: Health
Expert:  nurse_Dan replied 10 years ago.
It is really hard to tell without drawing some blood work.

Typical signs of drhydration would be dry mucus membranes, heart rate over 100, low blood pressure, dizziness when standing, decreased urination and history.

You certainly sound like you could be dehydrated.

You should try to get in 8-10 glasses of water or gatorade a day. Hope fully this will get better some for you.

Sounds like you may have a giardia type infection. You might want to consider a doctors visit and getting on some cipro and flaygl. This will help rid yourself of the infection

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to nurse_Dan's Post: I have been to a doctor and I am on flagyl, it does not seem to be working. I guess my biggest question is do I need to be seen tonight or can it wait. I am not having muscle cramps.
I would do this. Take you heart rate. If it is above 120 resting I would go to the ER. If it is below you could wait.

This would indicate you are pretty dehydrated. If you do have a fever above 102 this would be a reason to go in as well.

If you get to the point where your urine output is less than half a liter a day 500cc then I would go in as well.

Sounds like you need to see a gastroenterologist.
You could be developing chron's, colitis or another type of imflammatory bowel disease.

I hope this helps.