Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

What is scurvy and how and what does it look like

Customer Question

My sister has a rash that itches all the time she has been to a doctor and they have tried severl pills and lotions and nothing is working. She has changed soap, started antidepression pills and nothing is working I would like to know why they can't figure this out. She is tired all the time over weight. I am thinking scurvy.
Category: Health
Expert:  April replied 9 years ago.
Hi Susan. Scurvy is actually a condition caused by lack of asorbic acid (vitamin C). This is the disease that used to affect sailors on long voyages due to lack of fresh fruits. I am going to forward your question to the health category and ask a health expert to help you. People in developed countries today rarely come down with scurvy, so I feel there may be something else going on here. A health expert will get back to you as soon as possible.