Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality

i have been having terrible non-stop itching ALL over my ...

i have been having terrible non-stop itching ALL over: my legs, arms, pubis, neck, head. when i was in elementary school, i had lice which was treated. could this be a re-infestation or something else? i am now 24 years old and have been itchy now for about 4 years. i havent seen a doctor about it because to be honest, it is quite embarrasing. i have tried over the counter meds: RID, benzyl benzoate, to try and get rid of the itching without really knowing the underlying cause (just assuming it's lice or mites or something)........i havent had any relief with the over the counter meds i have tried. what could this be and what other meds (over the counter) could i try to eliminate the itch? it literally feels like both something crawling on the skin with intermittent pinching/prickling feelings.........any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

At this point I would make an appointment with a dermatologist to determine what the cause of this persistant itching is related to. Allergy testing may be recommended.

Never be embarrassed to discuss anything with your doctor, this could actually save your life in the long run.

As it has been four years, seeking a consult from the dermatologist is very important.

Are you also experiencing a rash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: i dont have a rash, only now after having used benzyl benzoate have i developed a rash (i think it is a side effect) .........the itching usually seems worse at night, or when i wear long sleeved shirts or pants (especially ones that are snug against my skin).........what things aside from mites could be causing this? i am just about ready to see a doc for it because the itching has been driving me crazy.
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.
I was wondering if you perhaps had scabies, but as you do not have a rash, that may not be the case.

Have you tried to rule out allergies by changing your laundry detergent, fabric softener, bath soap, body lotions etc?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dermatitis-eczema/DS00339

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/scabies/DS00451
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: i was wondering about scabies also, but i do not have a rash.....one of the reasons why i got the benzyl benzoate was because it is used both to treat scabies and lice. i figured if it was one or the other, it would take care of the problem...but i'm still itching.

i havent changed anything regarding detergents, soaps, etc. i have pretty much always, consistently used the same soaps/detergents etc...

i cant visually see anything biting or pinching at my skin, but that is what it feels like, intermittent with prickly sensations...

i have washed everything, clothes and all in boiling water and have hot dried them for an hour thinking that perhaps something is in the clothes causing me to feel these sensations, but i still put the clothes on, and i'm still itching. without clothes, i still itch but it seems worse with clothes on....

i even bought one of those long thin metal combed pet flea removers to see if i was removing anything from my hair and at one point i was removing what appeared to be white little sacs, but i havent removed anything like that for weeks and am still itching.

??
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.
I would recommend changing your detergent, fabric softener, bath soap and lotion just for the sake of seeing if this has any effect in lessening or ending your symptoms.

Make an appointment with a dermatologist.

Do you go outside much? I was wondering if chiggers could be a problem?

Chigger bites are much easier to prevent than treat. Chiggers are tiny mites found in tall grass and weeds. They attach to your skin with little claws and feed on juices inside your skin cells. After a few days, they fall off, leaving behind an itchy, red welt where they attached. Even with treatment, redness and itching can last up to three weeks for each bite.

Over-the-counter treatments may temporarily relieve itching. These include:

Calamine lotion
Soaking in a cool tub of colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno)
Hydrocortisone cream or ointment, containing at least 1 percent hydrocortisone
If skin appears infected or if bites appear to be spreading to other parts of the body, see your doctor. He or she may recommend additional treatment, such as antihistamines or antibiotics.

Chiggers are most likely to attach under tight clothing, such as at the tops of socks or under the elastic band of underwear. To reduce or prevent chigger bites, use insect repellent on legs, feet, socks, shoes and pant legs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: i dont go outside much, so i dont think chiggers would be the culprit, but i will check in with the dermatologist to see what she/he says.....last question, do you know of what specific allergies they could check for and does it require skin biopsy?
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.
It does not requires skin biopsy. The doctor will make a tiny scratches on your skin to which serum will be added to determine if you have a reaction.

They normally do the testing on your back and it does not hurt. If you develop a reaction, then you will be provided with the appropriate medication to help resolve or control your symptoms.

Here is some info related to allergy testing:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/allergy-tests/MM00385

Sometimes, people simply have dermatitis which the cause is never determined.
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered NP - Multispeciality