Nancy
Nancy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Nurse Director of ECT Services, RN, BSN, Critical Care, Psychiatric, Anesthesia, 16 yrs, I Care
1773718

I got a blood clot in my arm from a needle stick, now I ...

Customer Question

I got a blood clot in my arm from a needle stick, now I have to take coumadin12mg every day. I dont have cancer, could my liver be causing a problem if not what is and what can I do about it. I dont know what else to write, other than this problem with blood clots I dont have any other health problems
Category: Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 10 years ago.

There are a variety of conditions that can make your blood clot too easily.

Risk factors for clots:

Obesity

Decreased mobility

Arteriosclerosis

Birth Control Pills

Smoking

Clotting disorders: Protein S and Proten C deficiencies, Factor V Leiden, antithrombin III. Ask your doctor for blood tests to identify whether you have any of these. Clotting factors originate in the liver, but there is probably nothing wrong with your liver.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Take Good Care! Nancy

Please click ACCEPT iof this was helpful!

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy's Post: what are protein s and c deficiencies, factor v leiden, antithrombin111
Expert:  Nancy replied 10 years ago.

These are "clotting factors". For your blood to clot there is a very complex kind of "Chain Reactions" that have to occur. "Clotting factors" all play a part in this chain reaction. If certain clotting factors are low or not working correctly, it can cause your blood to clot when it should not.

These clotting factors, Protein S and C, Factor V Leiden,Antithrobin III, are all part of that chain reaction.

There are blood tests to help dtermine these clotting disorders.

You may well have a clotting disorder or you may NOT have one, but you have some or one of the other risk factors for abnormal clotting that I listed above. By working on those risk factors, you can decrease your risk.

Can you tell me how this clot formed in your arm? Was it from a blood draw?

Nancy

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Nancy's Post: yes, the clots were caused from a blood draw at the doctors office. I had three clots inmy upper arm this seemed to cause a chain reaction in my body that just about caused my blood flow in my whole body to stop. I have to have my pt/inr check every three week to a month to make sure its ok. I now have high blood pressure and take clonidine, I am anemic and take iron for it. I have had two surgeries in a year, hysterectomy and thyroid removed. no cancer was found, thank god. I now have bad hot flashes, doctor said I was at that age. I cant take estergen due to the other problems, any suggestions will help.thank you
Expert:  Nancy replied 10 years ago.

The hot flashes could be more because of a surgical menopause than being at "that age". Did you have your ovearies removed when you had the hysterectomy? When the ovaries are removed, it puts you into an instant menopause. No, you cannot take hormones to help with that because of the clotting.

Why did you have the hysterectomy?

As for the blood clotting, do what you can to reduce your risk factors for the clots. Lose weight if you are overweight. Increase your activity level and get regular exercise. Quit smoking if you are a smoker. Keep yourself well hydrated. Avoid immobility at all costs! If you are traveling, do not sit for more than an hour at a time without getting up and moving around.

Here is an excellent web site about for people on Coumadin and dealing with blood clots: http://www.ptinr.com/data/pages/default.aspx?u=

And also I just rememeered another clotting disorder you should be tested for called antiphospholipid antibody.

Take Good Care! Please let me know if you have other questions! Nancy