Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

I have started my period 14 days after my last one ...

I have started my period 14 days after my last one finished- this has happened the last two months -what is going on ? I am not on any medication
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 years ago.

How old are you? Did you have regular and normal periods before ?

How old is your last child (if you have any children)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: My periods have been starting every 18- to 20 days every month . My youngest child is 16 - I am 43-

In a normal menstrual cycle, estrogen is produced in the first 14 days of the cycle and ovulation occurs on the 14 - 16 th day. This causes the ovaries to produce progesterone for approximately another 14 days. If pregnancy does not occur, the level of progesterone decreases and you get your periods.

In your case, I believe that you have not been ovulating in the last 2 months. As a result, there is no production of progesterone to maintain the cycle and the level of falling estrogen is causing you to get your period after 14 days.

Irregular ovulation is not uncommon after the age of 40 years, but this is usually temporary and the menstrual cycle tends to recover and become regular after 3-6 months.

If the bleeding is very uncomfortable or heavy, you can consult your Ob-gyn for a prescription of progesterone to be taken on the last 14 days of the cycle to cover up for the lack of progesterone in your own body. Taken for 3 months, this will regularise the menstrual cycle.

If your problem persists beyond 6 months, you will need to be thoroughly examained and investigations like ultrasonogram and blood tests for the levels of estrogen, progesterone, LH and FSH hormones as well as thyroid hormone carried out.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: How about that progestorone cream I hear about? Thank You

Progesterone cream will also help, provided, you take it in the last 14 days of your cycle in the correct dose as prescribed by your Ob-Gyn. But, pills are better since you the dosage is more accurate.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: I sorry but when should a period start and when should it end -what is considered normal -what should I expect ? I really appreciate this

Hello.

In most women, the menstrual cycle lasts for an average of 28-30 days. But a cycle as short as 21 days or as long as 35 days is considered normal. The first day of the period is considered the first day of the menstrual cycle.

A normal period (the time of bleeding) can last between 2 - 7 days. Bleeding for less than 2 days or longer than 7 days is not normal.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice