Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

How do you cure the chemical burn/skin discoloration ...

How do you cure the chemical burn/skin discoloration from using corn removal on the toe?
Also, Is there an oral pill or tablet that can be taken?
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.

There are no pills or tablets that can be taken to help reduce this discoloration.

How long ago did you use this product to remove the corn? Was it recent? If so, it may be that the skin is not completely healed and this will fade in time.

You could make an appointment with a podiatrist (foot specialist) and have him or her take a look. In the event the corn is not totally gone, it can shaved off using a surgical instrument. This could also help the skin return to its normal color.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: Initially, I used an over-the-counter corn removal to remove a corn on my right foot, second toe. I was told I had a chemical burn from the product because it left a dark ring around the corn area. I have had two surgeries on my right foot, second toe, a "resection condyle, dist end phalanx", purposely to fix the corn. I had a rod placed in this toe to "relax" the toe so that it wont "rise" when I wear shoes. I assume the recovery did not go well because know the dark ring spreads/widens each time I have a pedicure done to remove the dead skin atop the corn. And the corn is still here! I have used the other "over-the-counter" skin whiteners over some time but they all have not helped. I am really frustrated with this problem because nothing seems to help, even a surgery! I am interested in some type of laser removal to fix the problem. Or any other suggestions that may be available.
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for letting me know the rest of the details related to this discloration. What an ordeal!

I was going to suggest making a consult appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon and determine if the combination of a prescription lightener and a few laser treatments would reduce the darkness of the area. It is certainly worth trying at this point.

I have to say, having worked closely with a plastic suregon, OTC skin lighteners are of very little value. Precription hydroquinone may work.

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/hydroquinone_topical.html
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: Could you share more information on the laser treatment and how would that work. And, being that the corn is still there, would the surgery of "shaving the corn off" work in this case.
Expert:  Deborah replied 8 years ago.
I would suggest seeing the podiatrist first to assure the corn is totally removed.

I just had laser treatment on my face to remove some sun damage which included the removal of some skin discloration. This was done by a plastic surgeon that treated the area with the laser. The laser "breaks up" the discloration and new lighter skin returns. The area that is treated turns darker and then becomes crusty. The healing takes about a week. When the crust is gone, the skin returns to its normal color.

It is not painful, but you do feel a tiny electric like current for a second.

Skin rejuvenation which I had was $500, I am guessing your treatment would be in that price range as well.
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered NP - Multispeciality