EsquireEmily
EsquireEmily, Counselor with advanced degrees
Experience:  General medical experience + sexual and mental health. Worked in hospitals and clinics.

can cranberry juice help your period

I was wondering about cranberry juice and periods. I had to drink a lot of cranberry juice and took suppliments of it as well for a UTI and was on my period...about half way through. I seemed to have bled a lot more and more quickly with all the cranberry juice in my system. Can it help one's period be more speedy and have it end more quickly. Also can drinking a lot or taking the cranberry suppliment help it jump start. I only ask since I am nearly like clockwork and start on a thursday or friday every month....which is in the middle or end of my sugar pills (concering my birth control) and I would like to start towards the start of my sugar pills so I am not menstrauting nearly through my whole first active week. I don't know if it was just a fluke that I bled harder and faster with all the cranberry in my system since I have been starting and bleeding the same for years. Thanks for your time.

sincerely
Lisa Hildebrant
Category: Health
Expert:  EsquireEmily replied 7 years ago.

Hi Lisa-

Although it does sound like there is a connection between your taking the cranberry and your changes in your period, there really is no medical connection between the two. You are absolutely correct in taking cranberry to help with UTI's, however, as there is a known link between the intake of cranberries and the prevention/cure of UTI's.

If you continue to experience irregular cycles, you may want to speak to your doctor. While it may have been a fluke, as you mention, there could also be an underlying health problem causing the difference you experienced this month. You can also talk to your doctor about changing your pills (or the time you take the sugar pills) to readjust when you start to bleed (assuming this is something you wish to do).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Sincerely,
Emily

Experience: General medical experience + sexual and mental health. Worked in hospitals and clinics.