Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert
163146

I HAVE A SORE ON MY LEG THAT WONT HEAL. IT

I HAVE A SORE ON MY LEG THAT WON'T HEAL. IT HAS NO BACTERIA OR WHITE
CELLS IN THE GRAM STAINS I'VE DONE. WHEN IT SEEMS TO BE FINALLY HEALING, IT BEGINS TO ITCH INTENSELY. THEN I WASH IT WITH A CLOTH AND THE TOP LAYER SLOUGHS OFF, AFTER WHICH I PUT SALT ON IT TO STOP THE ITCHING. IT IS VERY INTENSE. I GET THE MOST RELIEF FROM CALADRYL
APPLICATION AND KEEPING IT VERY DRY. I DO NOT HAVE DIABETES OR ANY OTHER MEDICAL CONDITION THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR THIS. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO LEAVE IT ALONE AND GAVE ME SOMETHING TO STOP THE ITCH,
BUT IT DOESN'T WORK. ANY IDEAS??
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 7 years ago.

Is this just an open wound? Do you ever get any drainage from it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: Whenever skin sloughs off, there is a clear yellow sepage
Expert:  Lindie replied 7 years ago.

I have seen this type of sore before, however I can't think of the technical term of it. But what you want to do is get this cream called Ichthammol. You can get this at your local pharmacy. If you can't find it, do ask your pharmacist, as they may hold it on their side. First wash the area with a mild soap, pat dry and apply cream. Cover with a band-aid. Do this 2x a day for about 3-4 days. This cream will actually draw out the seepage and heal the wound.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don't forget to click the *ACCEPT* button and leave *POSITIVE* feedback.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Lindie's Post: This seems to have helped slightly,The skin surace is smoother, but it still doesn't seem to be healing. What causes the intense itch? Is ther anything thst would stop the itching. Imagine twenty mosquito bites in an area the size of a qurter. Any suggestions?
Melody
Expert:  Lindie replied 7 years ago.

This may have been a very deep infection for whatever reason. Itch can be a sign of healing, however with you stating intense, it shouldn't be like that. I'm glad the cream is helping some with the healing. I would continue it for now, especially since it's not getting worse. But since this is still there, I would highly suggest either following back up with your doctor, or better yet follow up with a dermatologist, as they may want to take a swab of the area, along with some skin swabs and have it analyzed at the lab, to see if there is some type of virus or bacteria in the wound area.

Worst case, you may actually have to have this area cut and cleaned open, especially before it could do further damage. I wish I were there to see this in person, to make sure. But with you having tried everything at this point, to be safe I would follow up to see what is causing this.

I don't know if the layer of skin/scab type is still falling off, but this can also indicate a process of healing. (picking or washing it off then can prolong the healing process) as it would be better to allow it to heal on it's own.

Hope this helps Hun

Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience: 17+ years, Healthcare Expert