Pam, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  17 years of RN experience. Most of my experience has been Director of Nursing.

blood vessel burst in my arm two nights ago and left me ...

blood vessel burst in my arm two nights ago and left me with a knot in my arm and a big purple bruise, arm has a dull pain @ a level 4. should i see a doctor or will it heal like a regular bruise ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pam replied 10 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

Can you tell me what kind of medications that you are taking? Also did you bump your arm on something or did it just appear on your arm without a reason?

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: i take advicor 500 mg every morning with 1 aspirin and metformin 500 mg twice a day with food i also take alot of vitamins and supplements i've never had high blood presure.
There's a large knot inside of my arm just above the purple bruise. I went to bed sunday night and woke up around 1:30 am with bad left arm pains and monday morning my arm looked really bad. one year ago I had several surgeys on this side for a seperated sholder and the collar bone ended up getting cut partial off.
Expert:  Pam replied 10 years ago.
Alot of times when blood vessels are close to the skin, and there is slowed blood flow, this can cause pooling of the blood. In your case, you are on cholesterol medication and blood pressure meds and this can cause slowing of the blood flow. Taking aspirin will only make it worse because this causes the blood to thin out and the bleeding to become worse. I would call my doctor and ask the nurse if it would be ok maybe to stop the aspirin for a couple of days so this could heal and if you should do anything else. I don't really like telling people to stop their meds unless they ask their doctor, but I am sure the aspirin will only make it worse. If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN