Doctor Nash
Doctor Nash, Professor of Medicine (MD)
Experience:  I've been teaching and practicing medicine for more than 40 years.

I have a skin condition (i think a fungus) ...

Customer Question

I have a skin condition (i think a fungus) on my torso. It has also affcted my pigmentation. I think I have heard it referred to as "howley rot" a term originating in hawaii. do you know anything about this? and if so any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 10 years ago.
Please describe the lesions for me. I think it's tinea versicolor, but I want to be sure.

Is it primarly on the chest, shoulders, and upper back? If it is, that's the answer, and your pharmacist can recommend an antifungal cream.

If I'm off base, can you take a digital picture and send it as an e-mail attachment?

Doctor Nash
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: yes, it is primarily on my chest and back, but it is on my arms as well. If I scratch it (which I do not do because it really doesn't itch)it appears white and looks like dry skin. The lesions are spotty/blotchy, but in areas have spread and converged over larger areas on my back and chest. On occasion it appears red in my pubic region and buttocks, but not to the same extent. Sweating appears to increase its prominence.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Okay, Michael, I don't think we need a photo from you.

Go to this web site and see the graphic on page two. Look familiar?

The last page on the site discusses self-treatment.

This condition interested me while a medical student in 1955. We were told that the US Army was concerned about a possible epidemic and decided to look at transmissibility. Volunteers lived in barracks with "infected" soldiers and exchanged unwashed T-shirts every other day. None of the initially uninvolved guys developed versicolor during a two-year period of exposure. But somehow, I came down with it (?).

I don't know what the current thoughts are, but I do know that it's easy to knock out for a time, but it can recur.

If that graphic does not resemble you, let me know.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: THANK YOU!
My pleasure.

Come back anytime.