Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

Why do Doctors look into your eyes when having an exam

When I go to the doctor with an ailment or just an exam they look into my eyes.
When I went to the eye doctor last week he asked if I had regular physicals. Why?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 10 years ago.

The eyes can tell a number of factors, the position of the eye ball, and its response to look up etc show whether key cranial nerves are working. Indicates the possible presence of some tunours. Dilation of the pupil can indicate a number of problems.

The most common reason for looking at the back of the eye with an opthalmscope is to look for signs of uncontrolled diabetes. This can appear as little haemorrhages or lipid deposits on the retina surface.

Any changes to the retina should be investigated as untreated damage can lead to blindness.

Does this help?