PvtCareDr
PvtCareDr, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor with experience of many years in General Practice.
1909258

How long can a lymph node stay swollen

I noticed a swollen lymph node on my neck at the end of July. It seemed to be occuring, because I had a cold; however, now it's October and it is still swollen. Not as bad, but different from the other side of my neck?? Is this a reason for concern or will it go away. This is a small, hard, painless gland under my jaw. Otherwise I am in perfect health and recently hiked 60 miles through Glacier National Park.

Additional information:

I am 37 years old and have used chewing tobacco since about 20. Recently, I decided to quit. Also, I am self employed and if I go to a doctor my insurance company cancels my policy and has me reapply, then will not insure me if there is a problem. So if there is reason for legitimate concern, I will go through the process. If I should wait a few months to see what happens, I need to know or at least get an opinion.

I thank you,

Troy

Perplexed and worried,

Troy
Category: Health
Expert:  PvtCareDr replied 10 years ago.

What is exact size of gland ?

Is size stationary or increasing or decreasing?

Is your weight stationary or decreasing?

Do you get fever or not?

Do you have any other swelling in the body?

What is your blood pressure?

What is your fasting & post prandial blood sugar level?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr Anil Munjal's Post: The gland is approximately .75" long by .25" wide. It is more elongeated than round. This is its largest size since I am just getting over a cold.

The gland became harder and larger after I got a cold fishing in Canada the end of this July. It seemed to diminish in size, yet was still noticeable if you felt the at the area below the jaw. If I have a cold it grows, if not, it shrinks, but never back to normal size.

My weight is stationary at around 200lbs. I am 6' tall and extremely hard working.

I do not get any fevor, other than my ear becomes fevored once in awhile, because I sleep on it wrong. I have had ear infections once in awhile over the past few years and flare ups. Somebody told me that I had "swimmers ear." Other than that I don't usually get any fevors that I can think of.

I don't have any other swelling or injury.

I don't have any way to determine blood sugar, but my ranges have always been good in the past.

My blood pressure, as determined by one of those machines you see at Wal-Mart, is 148 over 100. They say it's too high.

Troy

So long as the size of size of gland is stationary you are probably safe but if size increases then you are unsafe. Also you have to ensure that you are not carrying any sinus infection or any other infection.Chewing tabacoo is dangerous for you so you have to stop chewing tabacoo.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr Anil Munjal's Post: Dr. Anil Munjal,

Ok, so if the gland remains the same size, even though it fluctuates when I have a cold, it is probably pretty safe. If the size of the gland increases all on its own without any known infection, then I should go in for further examination. I think that this is what you are telling me.

Troy

An increase in size of gland should be investigated otherwise you are safe.

Secondly if you start loosing weight evan that must be investigated otherwise you are safe.