Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor (MD): Board-Certified Family Doctor

If shaving cream gets into a childs eyes, does it ...

If shaving cream gets into a child's eyes, does it cause substantial harm?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 10 years ago.

Hi smax,

NO--a relatively small amount will NOT cause permanent harm; it will STING however. Best 1st-Aid: Irrigate the eye for at least 10-15 minutes with clean (filtered or bottled) water (cool temp.); then repeat AGAIN for 10-15 mins after a short break.

If child still has a lot of burning or stinging; or eye looks very RED; or he cannot see well (blurred vision), then DEFINITELY take him to an ER or Urgent Care Ctr today.

Hope this helps, and best wishes for your child's health...

--Dr. Steve

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Steve's Post: I am asking because I used to teach Autistic children and one of the behavior strategies we used was rubbing shaving cream on his face and hands to get him to come inside from recess and wash up. Another teacher saw this and reported it to CPS which it turn accused us of physical child abuse. What is your opinion on that?

To be honest, I have mixed feelings; I DO understand the strategy, and I'm sure it was an effective strategy; BUT--it needs to be exercised w/ care (to NOT get into the eyes or mouth). Reporting to CPS seems like an EXTREME measure, however. Perhaps there should have been a discussion first.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Best, -Dr. Steve (please hit *ACCEPT* as you read this; thanks)