Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I have the chills and then feel hot. I have fever

I have fever and chills. Keep getting cold then hot from sweat to chills. Just took some Tylenol and my cold sweats went away but now I am sweating and hot..
When I take a deep breath it makes me cough and when I cough my head hurts. Most of my joints were hurting this morning when I got out of bed. Last night my chills woke the wife up. My sinus is fine so far.
These symptoms started the day before yesterday.  About a week ago I had some stomach pains that continue today. My stomach seems to have lots of gas, do not know if this would be related to the above symptoms.

Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 10 years ago.

This sounds like a typical 'flu-like' viral infection. There is nothing to be done here but treat the symptoms, maintain good fluid intake and bedrest.

If you develop chest pain or shortness of breath, or pain on breathing in deeply then you should see the doctor in case you have a secondary bacterial infection. It should improve over the next 5 to 7 days.