Linda
Linda, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years experience working with multiple diseases and disorders in home health.
1606482

Do I have early symptoms of pneumonia?

My wife had pneumonia 3 weeks ago (39 years old). She is otherwise healthy, nonsmoker, physically active & fit. I've googled all the definitions & symptoms and the list of symptoms overlap many of the common cold.
Three days ago after exercising in cool weather - 45-55 degrees (which has historically not been an issue), I came down with a fever & aches and cough. The cough is productive but with limited mucus.
The fever has returned in the evening two days ago and again last evening. Today I feel general aches and am coughing every few minutes. I've taken standard dosage of both Ibuprofin and Tylenol. At the moment I have no meds in my system and have no fever. The reasons for my concern are:
1 - My wife had bacterial pneumonia recently so I've recently been exposed to it
2 - If I exhale completely I produce a gurgling sound that does not sound good
3 - Frequency of cough

Category: Health
Expert:  Linda replied 10 years ago.

Pneumonia is usually not contagious, but the fact that you have a recurring fever, and have a moist sound in your lungs, is reason to seek medical attention. You may need an antibiotic.

Your doctor will want to know how high the fever was. He will also want to know if when you cough if you produce mucus. If the mucus was yellowish or greenish, that is an indication of bacterial growth.

A productive cough, fever and chills, chest pain, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, and fatigue are all symptoms of pneumonia.

Even if what you have is not pneumonia, but an upper respiratory infection, it is better to get it checked. Pneumonia can develop from a common cold.

Here is a website with information on pneumonia:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000145.htm

I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

I am on business travel and plan on seeing a doctor this Saturday. If the fever does not recur and the only symptoms that remain are a cough and gurgling when intentionally doing a very full exhale, do I need to visit the doctor? A full inhale does not make any (detectable by me) sound and I do not cough as a result. At the moment, the fever is gone and I only have the two above mentioned symptoms.
The heart of the question is whether there are other common ailments, like the URI or common cold that might present with a gurgling as well?
Thanks

Expert:  Linda replied 10 years ago.

If your only symptoms are a cough and gurgle (which I am interpreting as a moist sounding cough), and you have no fever, chest pain, fatigue, or shortness of breath, then you are probably ok with waiting to see if you feel better when you get home.

The main symptoms you should be concerned about are fever, productive cough with yellow or green mucus, and shortness of breath. If these symptoms increase, then you should see a doctor sooner, since Saturday is three days away.