Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae

I have a sharp pain in my knee when I bend my knee. It ...

I have a sharp pain in my knee when I bend my knee. It started as a dull stretching sort of pain when I was driving. Then I was crawling across the bed and the pressure on my kneecap caused a sharp pain. It felt muscular or tendon-like the way it hurt - a little like when you hit your funny bone. That was the night before last. Now just bending my knee under the desk or my chair hurts.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 10 years ago.

Is this unilateral Knee pain?

Any history of external trauma to knee?

What is the severity of pain?

Any associated swelling?

Any associated instability of knee joint?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: Unilateral - I guess so - it seems to be on the top of my kneecap.

Other than hitting my knees into table legs, no - but I seem to have always done that.

severity - maybe 6? 7? But only when I bend or stretch the kneecap.   

No swelling

It hurts enough when I am seated and get up that I use the other leg to get my weight off the seat.

I took a nap since I talked to you, and now I can bend my knee all the way and there's no pain NOW. When I hurt it on the bed, it hurt then but got better, then this morning (two days later) I got up and it was very sensitive.

From your history this seems to be Strain or sprain .These are minor injuries to the ligaments caused by sudden or unnatural twisting and not any serious injury like meniscus tear .

This pain should resolve by self care:

Rest and avoid activities that aggravate the pain

Take over-the-counter pain medication like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin ) if necessary to reduce pain.

Motrin 200 mg SOS ( as required )

Sleep with a pillow underneath or between your knees.

Use ace bandage to prevent mobility and support the knee.

Check this link for a photo

If the pain persists you should seek medical advice.