Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

I had an iui done over two weeks ago. Ever since then

I had an iui done over two weeks ago. Ever since then I have been bloated and had very mild cramps occasionally. My period came on day 30 , it was very light and started with brown discharge, then i had a little bright red blood for less than a day, then it was brown with some dark red blood then on third day it was gone.... and then came back fourth day in the evening( today is my fourth day) I also have been having some breast pain on and off for a week and for the past few days it has been more noticeable and sometimes they feel weird like almost heavy or something. I also have had occasional frequent urination and excessive hunger and I have been feeling like my stomach is upset at night when i go to bed for a week also. I will be calling my dr. ( a reproductive specialist) on Monday to see what he wants to do, but I need some advice now! I also took a pregnancy test on day 28 it was negative...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 7 years ago.

What is your bleeding like now - heavy, light, reddish, brownish? Could you tell me the date of your IUI? And on which date you took the pregnancy test?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: I believe iui was on Sept 18 and i tested on october 1st. bleeding was light and more brown than anything i did also find it to be a little stringy.

It is possible that you are having implantation bleeding. Also since the bleeding is very less and more brownish than reddish I would say that there is a very strong chance that you are pregnant.

October 30th was too early for an accurate pregnancy test. But a test now should be able to tell you if you are pregnant.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: You think 2 weeks after iui was too early to test? They said 16 days after hcg shot would be ok ,it was 15 i think. I remember with my daughter I was 4 weeks pregnant before it showed up on a hpt test. I have pcos and have tried clomid several times, 3 cycles over a year ago and this was our 2 cycle on it this time. It was my first iui. I know last month my period came early because of a cyst could but they said it was getting smaller. Could i have one again?

It takes some time for the HCG level in blood to increase to the level when it can be detected in a urine test. Although many manufacturers do claim that their products can show a positive test as early as 10 days after ovulation, these are more likely to produce a false positive or a false negative test.

2 weeks (14 days) after the IUI was too early. An IUI is done just before or on the day of the ovulation. Assuming that you ovulated on the 18th, it will take at least 24 hours for fertilization to occur (which means 19th). It will take another 7-10 days for implantation to occur. Usually, implantation occurs on the 9th day. This will add up to the 28th of October. And it will take another 3-4 days for the level of HCG to show up in the urine. So, even assuming that all events (ovulation, implantation) occured in the earlier part of the range of days concerned, 30th October was still too early for HCG to show up in your urine.

It is unlikely that a cyst can affect the cycle once you have ovulated normally and an IUI has been done. A cyst can affect the ovulation and delay it but once ovulation has ocurred, the corpus luteum formed just after ovulation maintains the hormone levels.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: Thank you for the input! One more question and I promise I will stop. The breast pain is not like it was when I was pregnant with my daughter... it feels the same but it doesn't hurt when they are touched or anything like the did with her. The pain feels the same but not as bad. Is it bad to be really bloated and cramping if i am pregnant? Also I had really bad constipation over a week ago now I have been slight dirrahea is that related? Thanks again

The level of breast pain can be different from women to women as also from pregnancy to pregnancy in the same women. But many women suffer from breast pain in the pre-menstrual period too, so it is not a very reliable indicator of pregnancy.

Bloating and cramping is more likely to be due to your diarrhea than to pregnancy as it it is too early in pregnancy for any gas formation to occur, assuming that you are pregnant.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice