G. L. Health
G. L. Health, Personal Trainer & Rehab Specialist
Experience:  AFAA, PACE, AFAP, Dance, Taekwondo, AAI certified and ATRI & IFPA-PSRS candidate. 9 yrs. experience.
2262956

I broke my shoulder. How long should I keep the sling ...

I broke my shoulder. How long should I keep the sling on and when should I start excercising the arm?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to G. L. Health's Post: No physician, I have no insurance. No therapist, just got back to work after having the summer off, am a substitute teacher ... and not back to work, off due to shoulder.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to G. L. Health's Post: I don't think you read what I wrote. I went to the ER and had X-Rays. It is broken. I don't have a problem with paying the hospital, I'm already making payments and they can add this to it. My problem is the follow-up. I don't want to incur a lot of financial expense if they're going to do nothing. They said to see an orth-something and I called to see where I should be now. Due to "being sued" the Dr wouldn't even come to the phone. Yes, I'll pay to keep my arm, I won't pay for unnecessary appointments where they are going to do nothing at an extremely high rate. My arm is in a sling, that's ok. That is basically all the hospital did. What should I expect after a week? No one will tell me. I'm better off than a week ago, that I know. I couldn't hold anything in my hand, now I can. Will it continue to improve?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to G. L. Health's Post: We're making progress. I broke my shoulder, not my arm. Nothing could be set; the hospital put me in a sling. They said when I fell I pushed the ball into the socket and cracked the socket around it. I am resting it in the sling. My question, "why" should I pay a lot of money for an ortho and what can they do? And how should I be feeling after 1 1/2 wks? The arm is better, a week ago I couldn't hold anything in my hand nor type - now I can do both. What can/will the ortho do and how should I be feeling now?
Expert:  G. L. Health replied 8 years ago.
All right, we are getting somewhere indeed. What the orthopedist will do is simply keep an eye on your healing progress. In short, he may very well do "nothing." If it does not appear to be healing properly, he will reset and/or brace it before it meshes too far. Ironically, you may not know either way. Thus, you may not go but I still strongly encourage you to. There is still the chance that it could impede your range of motion, give you pain later or wear away at the shoulder because the joint is not in proper alignment.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to G. L. Health's Post: Ok, I think we're making progress. I think you have answered all I have asked except...how should I be feeling now? A week ago I could not hold anything in my hand, now I can. The black and blue is diminishing. I have heard from the hospital and they can set me up with an ortho from their clinic, at a reasonable price. I will probably go that way. I broke it on a Weds eve and now it's Sat, about 1 1/2 wks. The throbbing is gone, but still no movement. Where I should be? (You've been patient and I see you want to help me, thanks.) (I want to be helped.)
No problem. What is going on with your shoulder right now is inflammation from the trauma. That will be the main cause of your pain. Additionally, it will prevent some movement. It will have to remain immobile to ensure it heals properly. Any discomfort will likely last about another three weeks or so. By the end of three weeks you will barely feel anything. If it is as good as it seems, you may be lucky with only two more weeks of discomfort. The amount of residual pain largely depends on the amount of trauma. How is that? Let me know how I am doing.
Experience: AFAA, PACE, AFAP, Dance, Taekwondo, AAI certified and ATRI & IFPA-PSRS candidate. 9 yrs. experience.