Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years

my second toe is numb only on one side,

Customer Question

my second toe is numb only on one side, it has been like this for two days and it began after a night of dancing in high heels...should i be concerned about this and when will the numbness go away?
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 10 years ago.
You may indeed have irritated the nerve where it passes through the top of the foot and down to the toe/s (neuropraxia). Wearing loose fitting shoes for a bit and taking a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory can reduce the inflammation of the nerve. If it becomes especially bothersome or progresses beyond the one toe, or if you develop numbness (lack of sensation rather than a tingling), then you should see a podiatry doc. The test that would be done would be the EMG, but as far as treatment, that would depend on the extent of the annoyance and the area involved. Also, if other toes become numb, then peripheral neuropathies will have to be ruled out.