Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

does ovulatory spotting occur after ovulation ?does it ...

does ovulatory spotting occur after ovulation ?
does it only last for 3 hours?
If you had intercourse 3 and 1/2 days before that could you conceive the day of ovulation spotting?
Does stress cause it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.

Yes, ovulatory spotting can occur after ovulation has occured. And yes it can last for only 3 hours. In fact, some women may see only a spot of blood once during their ovulation, while others may have spotting for 4-5 days.

It is said that sperm can fertilize an egg for only 48 hours after being ejaculated into the female body. But if ovulation has occured about 1 day before the ovulation spotting, then yes, conception can occur on the day of ovulation spotting after sex 3 1/2 days ago.

No, stress does not cause ovulation spotting.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: I had two dates on of 9/19 and one of 9/21- is there a reason why i am so late?

The only day i n had intercourse was 12/24, my lmp was 12-10
and i had the spotting on 12/28?

was there any reasons why i would have it out of no where ? I have had my period for 21 years and never had it before.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
the two dates that i am referring to are my due dates - i am sorry

Thank you for the clarification - I was just about to ask you about them.

The gestational period of humans are 40 weeks (you probably know this already). But, it is possible to wait for another 1 week for labour pains to occur. Some doctors even prefer to wait for 2 weeks after the due date as many times labour pains start at this time.

The reason why you are late is difficult to say since knowledge about why and how labour starts is still a bit limited. It is known that the baby's brain stimulates the start of normal labour but how it does so is still under research. On rare occasions when normal labour does not start within 2 weeks after the due date, labour has to be initiated by injections.

As far as the dates you have given about LMP, ovulation date and date of intercourse, they correlate very well with each other. You had sex 14 days after your last menstruation, possibly ovulation occured within 48 hours of intercourse (and you became pregnant). Ovulation spotting occured soon after.

Menstrual cycles can vary within 28 plus/minus 7 days. This is due to normal variations that can occur as a result of stress, emotional excitement, illness etc. So if your period has varied within 1 week of the date, it is quite normal.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: so you think that anything is wrong that i am 12 days late and my labour has not started?
does the ovulatory spotting usually occur after ovulation or before?

I know with the 10 week ultrasound the date could only be plus or minus 5 days ? so i would still be late now.
with my last pregnancy my water broke and they had to induce me - i never dilated it took 27 hours.

I do not think that anything is wrong even if you are late by 12 days by your calculations, especially since the ultrasound dates your pregnancy even later. If the movement of your baby is all right, then it means that you still have adequate water inside the uterus and you can wait for a few more days for labour to start spontaneously.

Since you had to be induced in your last pregnancy, it is likely that you will need to be induced in this pregnancy also. I hope you have informed your doctor of this, as it is possible that she may decide to induce you based on this fact alone.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: my last question that i put was does the spotting occur before or after ovulation?

Thank you for all of your help.Have a great weekend

Ovulation spotting can occur at any time from about 24 hours before the ovulation to around 3-4 days after the ovulation.

I hope this helps.