V. Yetimyan   M.D.
V. Yetimyan M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Physician for 20 years with experience in hospital patient care.
616192

Low Dose Birth Control VS. Regular Birth Control

Hello!!!
What is the differences in your period between a low dose birth control and a regular dose?
I understand that a typical dose is 35 mcg of Estrogen and a "low dose" is 20-25mcg, but how does it affect you?
With less estrogen would your period be less heavy?

Because, for me, I just switched to Ortho Tricyclen Lo from regular Ortho Tricyclen, but my period is much lighter.

Please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  V. Yetimyan M.D. replied 10 years ago.

If estrogen is high you can get estrogen related side effects such as bloathing, headaches, breast tenderness. If estrogen is low you can get more frequent breakthrough bleeding, early periods etc.

The heaviness of a menstrual flow depends on the thickness of the lining of the uterus just before the onset of menses. The thicker the lining, the heavier the flow. In women using low-dose BCPs (for example: Ortho Novum, LoOvral, Ovcon, etc.), there is a tendency for the uterine lining to become very thin, over the course of many months. Clinically, this is reflected as lighter and lighter periods which may even stop completely.

Please CLICK HERE for a positive FEEDBACK rating and also please click the green ACCEPT button if my answer is helpful to you. A bonus would be encouraging. If you need more help please feel free to ask. Take care.