Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years

tingling and loss of strength in left hand only, ...

tingling and loss of strength in left hand only, gradual, weeks, worsening.
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 10 years ago.
Is it the whole hand or just a part, which fingers?
What is your usual activity as far as the use of your hands at work and at home?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Judy's Post: The pinky and ring fingertips are tingling, the whole hand is weaker than usual. I'm having trouble using my nail clips. I'm a remodelling contractor, with a lifelong degree of ambidextrosity.(sp)
Expert:  Judy replied 10 years ago.
When it's the pinky and the ring finger, we think of ulnar nerve trouble. That's the nerve that comes through the inside of the forearm and then to the heel of the hand. It also supplies the palm and the two aforementioned fingers. Usually it's an entrapment or pressure of some kind on the nerve. Could be due to a cyst (most often), an undiagnosed fracture, positioning during work related or hobby related activities, a hit to the "funny bone." You'll need a neuro or orthopedic evaluation, EMG, maybe an MRi.
In the meantime, try to keep the elbow straight when not using the arm, and at night prop it so it stays straight, don't lean on your elbow (now we know why Mom always said "get your elbows off the table!"). If you type a lot, try to pad the area where the hand rests. Ibuprofen type meds can keep the inflammation at bay.