Scottish DOC
Scottish DOC, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBchB (commended),FRCA, MRCGP(with merit) I qualified in 1990 and work full-time in family medicine.
1495172

Swelling in tissue of inside corner of eye and under eye.

Customer Question

Swelling in tissue of inside corner of eye and under eye. Inside corner tissue a little itchy. No eye redness or puss. Happens regularly and always is completly gone in 48 hours. What is this and what's the fastest way to get rid of this swelling? It's embarrassing. A nurse here said (over the phone; she hasn't seen me with my eye(s) swollen) it's probably an allergy and I should take Benedryl. I did this and the Benedryl didn't phase it. It still lasted 48 hours. If it's an allergy, I take Zyrtec and Nasonex, so wouldn't take prevent it from happening? I thought Ibuprofen might cause it (side effect is facial swelling), but it happens even when I haven't taken ibuprofen in days. I've looked on the internet and just can't figure it out. It just started happening within the last 2 years. I'm 27 years old. Please help!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Scottish DOC replied 10 years ago.
Hi

Is it one eye or both?

AI
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Alexander Irvine's Post: One eye this time, but last time it was both.
If it is both then a systemic cause is likely - such as an allergy, dry eye syndrome and so on.

A single eye consistent with a mechanical problem of the eye - such as a blokage of the lacrimal aparatus - (tear system).

How many episodes have you had?

Are you totally free of symptoms in between times?

AI