CorpsmanUp
CorpsmanUp, Former U.S.Navy, Hospital Corpsman
Experience:  Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.
379498

what are these dark spots on my chest and the middle of my back

Tan colored spots located on the stomach and chest as well as the upper part of my back. The spots vary in size.
Category: Health
Expert:  CorpsmanUp replied 7 years ago.
Are these spots circular in shape?

Could you send a picture of these spots through email so I can properly identify them?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: some of the spots are circular in shape such as the ones on my chest and stomach but the ones on my back are mostly connected like a large patch and yes i can send picture if email is provided.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: the pictures have been sent via email. the spots are appearing on my neck as well and i have some spots near my private as well
Alright. I will receive them shortly and reply back when I have viewed them. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: standing by
Ok I have just 2 more questions just to make sure I'm right.

Have you done a lot of sun tanning or went without a shirt a lot this summer?

How long have you had this rash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: no i avoid taking off my shirt. ive had it for atleast a year
I am highly certain that you have a condition called Tinea Versicolor. Just from your description and photos this seems to be a classic case. Tinea Versicolor is caused by fungus similar to yeast. It is curable and is not contagious. I recommend stopping by a drug store and buying some Nizoral shampoo or Selsun Blue shampoo/body wash. When taking a shower or a bath, after bathing, rub this all over your entire body as much as possible and step out of the water. Stand there at least 15 minutes and then wash it off. You may have to do this 3 times a week for a couple of weeks for this to clear up. Also, make sure to wash your clothes and sheets and don't wear the same undershirts twice without washing. This should clear up in about 2 weeks. If it doesn't you need to see a doctor for prescription anti-fungal medication. I have deleted your photos and email so no one will view them. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to James's Post: how did i get this fugus? i shower everyday. i've played football for 2 years where i wore used shoulder pads before. Can this spread all over my body?
The fungus is natural. You probably got it from sweating so much during football. It can spread to other parts of your body. The most common areas are the chest, back, upper arms, groin, and under the armpits.
Experience: Over 4 years of providing direct, clinical medical care.