Pam
Pam, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  17 years of RN experience. Most of my experience has been Director of Nursing.

Bottom of feet feel so sore; Like badly bruised esp. in AM

Customer Question

ARE THERE MEDICAL PROBLEMS THAT COULD CAUSE THE BOTTOMS OF MY FEET TO BE SO SORE WHEN I FIRST TRY TO WALK IN THE MORNING? I AM 51YRS. OF AGE BUT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN IN GOOD SHAPE AND NO PROBLEMS WITH ACTIVITY.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pam replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

Generally foot pain in the morning usually occurs when a person is very active on their feet. After a nights rest, the feet are generally tight and contracted and need to be stretched. The most common problem when waking in the morning is heel pain, which is again caused from tightness and needs to be stretched. This type of problem can be helped with anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, Nuprin, or Advil. Also you may need to get a more comfortable shoe to wear during the day. This can also cause pain. If the over the counter meds do not work, then you may need to see your doctor for a more stronger anti-inflammatory medication. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: PAM, YEARS AGO I TAUGHT BALLROOM DANCING. I AM A MOTHER OF THREE TEENS. I HAVE BEEN WEARING COMFORTABLE SHOES SINCE MY FIRST PREG 19 YRS AGO. I ENOY WALKING ALOT BUT HAVE NOT BEEN WALKING FOR ENJOYMENT LATELY. I AM NOT SPENDING MORE TIME ON MY FEET AND HAVE NOT BEEN VERY ACTIVE. I WOULD EXPECT TO HAVE NO REASON THAT I KNOW OF TO HAVE SUCH DIFFICULTY PUTTING WEIGHT ON MY FEET WHEN I GET OUT OF BED, IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE HAS BEEN POUNDING ON THE BOTTOM OF MY FEET AND THEY ARE VERY BRUISED. THIS HAS BEEN PRAC. A DAILY MORN. PROB. FOR ABOUT A MONTH.
Expert:  Pam replied 7 years ago.
So you are also having bruising with this? Does this occur on both feet? Is the bruising just on the bottom of the feet, or is it anywhere else on the foot?

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Expert:  Pam replied 7 years ago.
Let me try to explain what might be going on. The plantar fascia is a band of tissue much like a tendon that starts at your heel and goes along the bottom of your foot. It attaches to each bone of the foot and forms the ball of your foot. It works kind of like a rubber band between the heel and the ball of the foot to form the arch of the foot. If the band is short, you will have a high arch, and if it is long, you will have a low arch or "flatfeet". The pad on the heel is made up of fat that covers the plantar fascia to help absorb the shock of walking.
   As a person gets older, the plantar fascia becomes less like rubber and more like a rope that doesn't stretch very well. The fat pad becomes thinner and can't absorb the shock caused by walking. The extra shock damages the plantar fascia. When this is damaged it can cause pain, swelling and bruising. Other factors that can cause this is being overweight, diabetes, being flat-footed or having a high arch. You may need to get a foot insert that corrects the arch when you are up during the day. And like I said you can take advil, ibuprofen, or other NSAIDS to help this. If this doesn't work then the doctor can prescribe something stronger. Unfortunately this is just a sign of getting older. I have the same problem myself. My left foot always swells and I can barely walk in the morning. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Pam, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 17 years of RN experience. Most of my experience has been Director of Nursing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: PAM, THERE IS NO APPARENT SIGNS OF BRUISING. IT SEEMS TO BE JUST THE BOTTOMS OF THE FEET.
Expert:  Pam replied 7 years ago.
I think I explained it better above. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: PAM, I FAILED TO ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS; IT EFFECTS BOTH FEET. ALSO I HAVE ABOUT 10 EXTRA POUNDS ON ME. MY FEET HAVE NOT CAUSED ME PROBLEMS IN THE PAST. THEY ARE ALSO NOT FLAT (UNLIKE MY HUSBAND'S)
Expert:  Lori replied 7 years ago.

Good Morning,

Pam asked one of us to take a look at your question and answer session and see if there is anything we could add. I have to agree with Pam's assessment; it does sound like plantar fasciitis. The only other thing I would suggest is stretching your calves first thing in the morning and several times throughout the day, use an anti-fatigue mat if you are on your feet in one place during the day, toll a tennis ball under your feet several times throughout the day and evening to stretch it out, and see a podiatrist if none of these things help (including the NSAIDs). The podiatrist can analyze your step and determine the best type of inserts to use. This isn't unusual to develop this problem over the years, even if you've never had problems before. You said you are about ten pounds over weight. This, coupled with aging, can aggravate the problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: WOULD THE EXPLAINATION YOU PROVIDED APPLY TO MY PROBLEM IF IT CAME ON SUDDENLY ONE MORNING ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO AND THERE IS NO APPARENT FOOT ABNORMALITY OR UNUSUAL STRESS DURING THE DAY ON MY FEET? I WEIGH ABOUT 135 AND AM 5'4 1/2. I MENTIONED THAT I AM ALLERGIC TO ALIEVE..PERHAPS IF IT IS A INFLAMATORY CONDITION IT WOULD BE WORTH A TRY IF I WASNT ALLERGIC.   WELL, THANK YOU FOR YOUR IMPUT AND I APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTFUL RESPONSE.