haloprecious, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  graduate in Medicine,experienced in fields of medicine,gynae and pediatrics

cant eat eggs

Customer Question

I have a question. About 2 years ago it started, I cannot eat eggs without getting a very upset stomach about an hour after I eat and it lasts about 4-5 hours. I have tried making the eggs every way, with butter, pan spray, margarine, olive oil. The thing is I cannot eat them fried or scrambled, but I eat them when they are hard boiled and I feel fine after. WHy is this?
Category: Health
Expert:  haloprecious replied 10 years ago.

You have an allergy to eggprotein.Your body has antibodies which reacts to the proteins that egg has.

It can be be manifested by-

1. skin reactions-hives,redness and swelling most prominent on face and around mouth.

2. GI reactions-nausea, vomiting, diarrhea

3. respiratory symptoms- runny nose,wheezing

Egg allergy is one of the allergies which tends to fade away with time but in your case it has persisted, so chances are it is hereditary.

On boiling the particular protein breaks down and consequently causes littlle or no reaction.

Treatment involves avoiding of egg protein and anti allergy medications and replacement of of the nutrients of egg with other suitable diet.

Hope this has been helpful and you are welcome to ask doubts if any.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to haloprecious's Post: Ok, but wouldn't I get an upset stomach from things that are made with eggs? Or does that break down the protein also?

The intensity of allergy in your case is mild otherwise you would not be able to consume boiled egg too.Therefore, in foods where the product in this case the egg protein is not concentrated causes minimal or no problem.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to haloprecious's Post: Ok, but I got a flu shot last year and they asked if I was allergic to eggs, I explained what was happening and they gave me a flu shot anyway. No reaction.

In your case,you do have an allergy as indicated by your symtoms but it is not severe.

A person may develop (but not necessarily) an allergic reaction to influenza vaccine if he/she is allergic to egg protein.That is because influenza and some other vaccines use components of chicken or egg. Earlier people with egg allergy were not administered influenza or MMR vaccines for the fear of developing an allergic reaction to the vaccines. But gradually these vaccines were given after an allergy tests and years of observation proved that very rarely people with allergy to egg actually developed an allergy to the vaccines.I hope this makes it clear.