4ren6, Medical Forensics
Experience:  Forensics Medical Forensics

I am coughing up bad tasting mucus. What could be the reason?

I'm coughing up really bad tasting mucus for about three months. I have had COPD for years but I have never coughed up mucus that had this bad taste. Do you think this could be something like lung cancer or just some kind of infection in my lungs?

Category: Health
Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.

Is it green or brown in color?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

I have never been able to get any up to see if it has color. It is really bitter to the point of making me sick at stomach. I've had coughs with bad taste before when I would have infections but never like this.

Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.

It does indeed sound to be an infection within your pleural (lung) area. I would consult with a doctor for the appropriate medication to fight this. If needed go on to the ER if your having problems with breathing.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

This doesn't sound like any kind of symptom of lung cancer?

Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.

Not necessarily. You have COPD and it is classic of COPD. You would be having (with advanced) back pain upper shoulder to lower back area with lung cancer. You most often would cough up blood as well. This is not to say that you should not have a chest x-ray which would be done anyway for a possible infection of the pleural area as well.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I think you have answered my questions. I have been having very bad pain between my shoulder blades that started about the same time or maybe a litte after the cough. My next question was going to be if this pain could have anything to do with the other but you answered me before I asked. Thank you again.

Expert:  4ren6 replied 10 years ago.

Well now lets not get the horse ahead of the cart here.

The coughing will also cause the pleural area to ache and hurt. This can be in your back as well as your straining muscles when you cough to the degree one does when they have COPD. Best advice is to go have a chest x-ray and be checked for infection of the lungs. Let me know if I may further assist you. And do not get over worried yet. It sounds to be an infection.