Pam
Pam, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  17 years of RN experience. Most of my experience has been Director of Nursing.

My lower left abdomen hurts, it was hurting ealier, i think ...

My lower left abdomen hurts, it was hurting ealier, i think mostly because i need to urinate, and i did but the pain stayed and then once i got home and went again it stopped, but a little bit ago the pain started again and i went to the restroom again to see if it could be that i need to go again, and i did but the pain is still there, can it be appendicitis
Category: Health
Expert:  Pam replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

I need you to answer a couple of questions for me. Can you tell me exactly where the pain is? Is it on the left or right side? In the middle by your belly button? Below your belly button? Is it a dull ache or cramping? When you urinate is it hard to start the stream of urine?

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: It is on the left side, below my belly button. It is like a strong cramp and after awhile it sometimes begins to dull. No not really but it did feel like i didn't release all of it.
Expert:  Pam replied 7 years ago.
This sounds very much like a urinary tract infection. With a bladder infection you can have any or all of the following symptoms: Burning upon urination, fever, cramping, very hard to start the flow of urine, feeling like you are not able to empty your bladder all the way, and sometime blood in the urine. The cramping is caused mainly from spasms. If you are able to, you need to get antibiotics to get rid of this. Also you can go to any supermarket in the drug aisle and buy a product called Azo Standard which will help greatly with the cramping. This will turn your urine orange, but don't be alarmed. If you cannot afford to see a doctor, usually you can go to any herbal store and ask the people that work there for something to help with a urinary tract infection. These people are very knowledgeable about their products and they can help. My best advise would be to see a doctor and be put on medication. Also drink lots of liquids and cranberry juice if you can to flush your kidneys. Appendicitis is usually on the right side and radiates across to the belly button and down into the groin area. It is a constant dull aching pain. It will become so bad that you won't be able to stand upright and laying in the fetal postion really helps it. In my opinion, you have a urinary tract infection. Tonight if you need something you can go and get the azo standard and take ibuprofen until morning or you can go to the ER. If you have anymore questions please ask.

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: ok so a day has passed and i feel better, i took a motrin pill and drank water and today i felt better and i went when i needed to go, i thought that was wierd. is that normal for a U.T.I
Expert:  Pam replied 7 years ago.
Yes sometimes it will feel better. You may need to keep flushing your kidneys with water and if that does the trick, then you will do fine. If the symptoms reappear, I would get some antibiotic therapy.

Thank you,
Pam Russell RN
Pam, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 17 years of RN experience. Most of my experience has been Director of Nursing.