Jonathan Fay, M.D.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician health consultant
920358

Left Flank pain for about 2 1/2 weeks. Comes and goes.

Left Flank pain for about 2 1/2 weeks. Comes and goes. Not so bad in the morning but pain increases during the day. Possible blood show in urine.
Category: Health
Expert:  Jonathan Fay, M.D. replied 10 years ago.
There are a few possibilities here, but in either case you really need to see a physician.

Flank pain, like you describe, with possible blood in urine can be suggestive of kidney stones, but it could also be caused by an infection within the kidneys as well. Although stones can sometimes just be left to "pass", sometimes more active interventions are required if the stones are too large or too numerous. An infection in the kidneys requires antibiotics. Problems with the colon, as well (like diverticulitis, appendicitis) can also sometimes cause flank pain, and these require treatment as well.

Call your physician, or get to an emergency room if that is easier. But make a call, in either case, as you need to be seen and examined.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions - I'm more than happy to try and help.

Take care - Dr. Fay
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Jonathan Fay, M.D.'s Post: Dr. scheduled me for a CT scan. What would be the reason?
A CT scan can show kidney stones very well. So stones may be at the top of the list. And with your symptoms of flank pain and hematuria (blood in urine), stones are at the top of the list.

Take care - Dr. FAy
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Jonathan Fay, M.D.'s Post: Dr. felt kidney stones was not the problem because no pain in groin. Could I consider diverticulitis to be possible even though no diarrhea or mucus. And would a CT scan be ordered to detect it?
Groin pain is not at all necessary for a diagnosis of kidney stones (pyelonephritis), and quite often people with stones have no groin pain whatsoever. Diverticulitis, and other GI complaints, most often involve abdominal pain. But a CT can give a great deal of information, and it can show a number of problems with the colon and elsewhere in the abdomen. In addition, diverticulitis and other GI complaints will not cause hematuria.

Kidney stones or an infection with the urinary tract (this can be in the bladder or in the kidneys) are the most likely candidates, in my opinion. The combination of flank pain and hematuria is pretty specific for kidney stones, but infection could still be a possibility.

Does this help? - Dr. Fay