Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

When having a procedure and the doctor bills the code 99199 ...

When having a procedure and the doctor bills the code 99199 for prone prosition. What does this mean? What is the prone prosition for?

It would be best to ask the billing manager where the bill originated from how they are using this code.

CPT code 99199,is often used when there isn't a more suitable code. It is "Unlisted special service, procedure or report." It can be used for unusual treatments or even when a doctor charges to fill out forms for a camp or school physical.

That code is sometimes used in billing to represent end-diastolic pneumatic compression therapy while the patient is lying down, which is the prone position.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: the procedure---colonoscopy & bill from anesthesia Thanks
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist:
the answer is not specific enough for me I need to know how the code 99199 relates to anesthesia and having a colonoscopy Please.
Were any other codes used? Was this the only code they used? Have you asked the physician(s) about why they billed this code?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: sorry, I dont remember the other codes they billed but I think maybe something like 0074? something. And they had to use the 99199 to better position to administor the anesthesia because of breathing
Prone position is laying face down - typically the colonsocopy is performed on the side with the knees and hips flexed.

Here is an article on the benefits of placing someone in a prone position in acute respiratory distress

Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years