EsquireEmily, Counselor with advanced degrees
Experience:  General medical experience + sexual and mental health. Worked in hospitals and clinics.

damaged stomach lining

Can damaged stomach lining be repaired? My stomach was fine until a back surgery 2 years ago where the pain pills given to me were horrible - caused me to not be able to keep food down for days and when I went off them, found my pain was not severe and didn't require such heavy medication. Since then, foods like eggs or ice cream really bother me - nausea, cramps. This is a bummer. Anything I can do to protect or heal my stomach?
Category: Health
Expert:  EsquireEmily replied 10 years ago.

1. Do not eat 4 hours before bed.
2. Take 300mg of Zantac before bed and in the morning.
3. Do not eat protiens like eggs, ice cream (milk) on an empty stomach. Eat small meals too.

I had this problem 11 years ago and have been seeing a great doctor since being diagnosed with my ulcer. I have helped a lot of people with this advice. It is the same thing the doctor will tell you.

If you have black stool or blood in stool, go to the emergency room.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to HealthGuru aka Emily's Post: I want to know if, once stomach lining has been damaged, can it ever heal and re-grow new healthy stomach lining, or will the damage be permanent and the best you can do is stop it from getting worse? Why do you suggest not eating 4 hours before bedtime for this problem? Are these the symptoms of an ulcer?

Hi Sherie-

Damaged stomach lining can be healed - but you will first need to reduce/eliminate the amount of acid that is being produced. A good start is to take a daily dose of Zantac - this will reduce the amount of acid, allowing the stomach lining to rest and ideally repair itself. You should definitely speak to your doctor, however - he/she may feel a prescription medication, such as Nexium, would be a better alternative.

You should avoid eating before bed to make sure your stomach is empty prior to laying in a vertical position - when there is food in your stomach and you are lying down, the food can cause excess acid production.

Your symptoms may be a sign of an ulcer, yes. However, it is more likely that you are suffering from a condition called GERD, or excess acid production. Again - speak to your doctor about your symptoms, begin a daily Zantac regimine, and avoid (for now) all of the foods that cause you problems. In a few months, if your stomach is feeling better, you can slowly start adding the foods back into your diet.

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask!