Jonathan Fay, M.D.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician health consultant

I was prescribed Liolactil for a stomach virus on my ...

Customer Question

I was prescribed Liolactil for a stomach virus on my trip in Venezuela, but I'm back and need 2 more pills to finish my Prescribed Doses. Is there anything in the US that is similar?
Category: Health
Expert:  Jonathan Fay, M.D. replied 10 years ago.
Absolutely. Liolactil is simply a pill containing Lactobacillus acidophilus, a bacteria that is often taken to help restore the "normal" bacteria that reside in our GI tract. The theory is that with an illness, the intestinal flora that live in our GI tract (colon, etc.) can be killed or die off, and restoring them (through taking bacteria in pill-form) will help that. Lactobacillus is readily available in many health food stores, and many other stores that carry vitamins/supplements will also carry it. There are many different preparations available, many of which should be sufficient.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions - I'm more than happy to try and help.

Take care - Dr. Fay