AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)

Fluid leaking through the skin

My leg is leaking fluid through the skin. I suffer from cellulitus in this particular leg. It is clear, pretty much like water. No smell. No viscosity. No wounds that I can see. No abnormal swelling. I am on Benicar for my blood pressure and I began the South Beach Diet two days ago. Any idea on why this is and what I should do? Specifically home remedies, as my insurance with my new company has yet to kick in.
Category: Health
Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 10 years ago.

Usually when there is weeping of fluid from the legs, there is swelling, too. This can be a sign of Chronic Venous Insufficiency. (CVI) CVI occurs when blood pools in the lower legs which can cause this weeping of fluid AND also swelling and possibly leg ulcers.

Because you have this history of cellulitis, I want to stress to you that you keep a very close eye on the leg for signs of it. The weeping alone can increase the risk for cellulitis setting in.

While the skin is oozing (weeping) drops of fluid, saline-soaked wet compresses can be used until the weeping stops. After that you can try an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream or zinc oxide cream to prevent the skin from cracking and increasing your risk of infection.

Other than that, watch for signs of cellulitis....swelling, redness, warm to touch....if you think you may have developed cellulitis, do not wait for your insurance to see your doctor. You will need antibiotics.