Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

what would cause lower leg pain and an indentation in the ...

Customer Question

what would cause lower leg pain and an indentation in the outside of the upper part of my calf
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 10 years ago.

Are both the legs painful? Since when? Any swelling or edema of the legs?

How large is the indentation? Did you get hurt at any time? Is the skin discoloured over the indentation? Is the indentation more painful than the other parts of the leg?

Are you on HRT or any other medicine? Do you have diabetes?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD(O's Post: Just my right leg is aching and burning like the feeling of a leg waking up from lack of circulation. It started yesterday afternoon and has fluctated between severe and not so since then. Sitting makes it worse.

Then I noticed an indentation about inch below my knee and to the side of my calf.

There is no discoloration but there is ridging that comes and goes.

I have concerns about blood clots as my mother has difficulty in that area.

I am basically a very fit person and have no health problems.

Since it was the weekend I opted to go on line for info.

thanks for your help,

From the description of the pain, it sounds possible that it could be the result of a blood clot blocking a vein in your leg. Especially since sitting makes it worse.

The indentation could be a localised contraction of the muscle due to a lack of blood supply.

A test for the presence of a substance called D-dimers can rule out or confirm the presence of blood clots.

Another possibility for the pain as well as the indentation could be pinching of the sciatic nerve in the thigh. The pain in this case will also be similar to what you have now. The nerve could also cause contraction of the muscle and the indentation. Tests for nerve conduction as well as muscle conductivity can usually diagnose sciatic nerve pain.

You need a physical check up, blood tests and other investigation for a proper diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.