Pamela, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  27yrs R.N. experience; Nurse consultant, home visit nurse, ortho, cardiac, med/surg, O.B./nursery

why would my right leg be numb

My husband's right leg feels numb. almost as if it has fallen asleep, but did not fully wake up. I am worried. What could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pamela replied 10 years ago.

From what you have said, it sounds like your husband has been thru quite a gamut of tests and fortunately he has not had anything serious diagnosed.

You didn't mention how long he has had this leg numbness.....has it been very recent? Has he been doing anything physically unusual? When did he have all these tests done?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Pamela's Post: It started about a week ago. He had heartburn, and then didn't feel well at all. the next day both of his legs were numb. I then took him to a doctor who thought it was probablly the flu. Heart sounded fine, etc. he ordered tests and all came back normal. My husband is no longer feeling sick, but his right leg is still numb. The numbness in is left leg has gone away. I might add that he is in excellent physical shape, and is extremely healthy. He normally exercises 1.5 hours per day. He said there is no way in his current state that he could work out. Sometimes he feels as if his right leg might give way underneath. He also said that if he were standing in a puddle of cold water, his left foot would feel cold, and his right foot would be warm. He would not really be able to feel the coldness. It's a weakness, numbness, and loss of sensation in the right leg.
Thank you
Expert:  Pamela replied 10 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me...that was very helpful.

Of course, I'm sure that you understand that I am only able to make some possible suggestions, not knowing or seeing your husband.

But based on the information you provided, and the fact that the left leg has resolved and the right still feels numb, I think that possibly this may be an indication of a ruptured (herniated) disc or compression of a nerve in the lower back.

I would have thought that the hospital would have done some xrays to rule this out, but perhaps at the time it with the symtoms of heartburn and not feeling well, it may have seemed more like an impending stroke/or heart attack.

The heartburn may have just coincided with the numbness in his legs but had no direct cause and effect.

I'm going to send you this website that explains the possible causes of leg numbness and the treatment.

In light of the fact that your husband is such an avid health enthusiast, he may have, during his exercise routine turned the wrong way or perhaps was lifting weights and caused his spinal disc to rupture causing pressure from the vertebrae to compress onto the nerves that go thru the spinal channel.

In any event, he should be evaluated by a neurologist for his continued numbness. Tests can easily tell what the cause actually is and what treatment would be indicated.

I trust, that with proper follow up your husband will do well.

Clicking on the “ACCEPT” button validates your acceptance of the information provided. Clicking on the “BONUS” tab assures me that I have been of assistance and value to you and is most appreciated. Don’t forget to leave your FEEDBACK.