Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae
1189392

After a long drive the other day, my calf is in pain.

After a long drive the other day, my calf is in pain. It feels like a possible muscle pull, but I have not done anything to cause a pulled muscle that I know of.   Should I be concerned of a blood clot? I am only 39 and have never had any health problems. However I have taken birth control for over 20 years. Other than birth control I have recently taken diet pills. I looked up symptoms for blood clots on line. I do not have a vericose vein and there is no redness.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 10 years ago.

Hello

Did you drive the vehicle?

If yes was this the same leg used to press the race(accelerator)?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: I did drive, but no, this is my left leg and I used the right leg for the accelerator.

What is the severity of pain?

Did you tried OTC painkillers?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: The pain is not that bad, not unbearable. I have a high tolerance level to pain. The pain reminds of that when a muscle is pulled. When I put my hands on both calves, I notice the calve in question is larger or swollen.

Hello

Any past history of DVT?

Any family history of deep venous thrombosis?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: I have not had any problems that I know of. My mother has had clots in her legs and has a filter. However, at the time she developed the blood clots she was in the hospital for endocarditis, so maybe that is what caused the blood clots....I don't know. Also, she took hormone replacement therapy for years.

Hello

From your history there are three risk factors which i have identified

1)History of birth control pills

2) Prolong immobilisation (Long trip in car)

3)Family history of DVT

More over its unilateral calf pain, Not suggestive of muscle pull as you have activity.So it wont be a bad idea to get an doppler sonography to rule out DVT because it is a non invasive procedure.

Check this link

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000156.htm