Jonathan Fay, M.D.
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician health consultant

What would make you feel dizzy, nausea, throw up ,upset ...

What would make you feel dizzy, nausea, throw up ,upset stomach, sweat profusley, once in a while, without warning?
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 10 years ago.

I would sugges making an appointment with your doctor for an exam and accurate diagnosis.

Three considerations come to mind. By providing me with additional info, I may be better able to answer your questions.

Here is some info:

Have you noticed these symptoms occur with change of position? Do your ears bother you at all?

Do you experience panic attacks or generalized anxiety disorder?

Do you feel very hungry when these attacks occur?
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered NP - Multispeciality
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Jonathan Fay, M.D. replied 10 years ago.
Hello - I'm happy to provide a second opinion, but to ensure that this is the best answer possible - could you provide me with some additional information?

When does this occur, and how often? Does anything trigger it?
Are there any other symptoms - hearing changes, does the room "spin", do you faint, etc.?
How long do these episodes last?

Let me know, and I'll be more than happy to provide you with another opinion.

Take care - Dr. Fay
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Jon Fay's Post: It has happened twice in the past week> Once in the Am while sitting at my desk doing paperwork and once in the PM after a brisk walk. Lasts for about 2-4 hours. Both times I had not eaten or had not eaten well or enough and I was hungry before the nausea but could not eat once I felt sick.
O.K. - thanks for the additional information, as it helps narrow things a bit.

I think there are a few possibilities, and I think that a few of the links posted by Deborah could be possibilities.

Labyrinthitis is inflammation of the labyrinths, which are the small organs in our inner ears that help us maintain a sense of balance, among other things. This can occur for any number of reasons, and often is simply related to a simple virus.Symptoms include dizziness, nausea, vomiting, just feeling "sick", dizziness and vertigo (which is the sensation that the room is "spinning"), and can also include hearing changes. Labyrinthitis generally resolves on its own within a couple of weeks - medications can be prescribed by your physician to help with the symptoms.

Another related disorder is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). This can cause similar symptoms, without hearing changes, and is often precipitated by rapid changes in head position, rising rapidly in bed, etc. This does not spontaneously resolve like the above, but can respond to medications.

Certain medications (if you are taking any) can also irritate the inner ear, causing similar symptoms.

Deborah also provided a link about hypoglycemia. These symptoms include: hunger, shaking, sweating, dizziness, fatigue, and weakness. This, in general, is not common in people without diabetes, so you may have a problem with your blood sugar levels.

I think that these are the most likely entities responsible. In any event, you should see your physician as soon as possible. If this is hypoglycemia, you need to have your blood sugars checked. For if they dip too low, this can cause really substantial problems. And BPPV and labyrinthitis can be pretty readily diagnosed with an exam and testing, and medications can help control those symptoms. If these are ruled out, the other routes can be followed.

But do make an appointment with your physician.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions - I'm more than happy to try and help.

Take care - Dr. Fay
Jonathan Fay, M.D., Doctor (MD)
Experience: Physician health consultant