Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

What are the pros and cons of taking prenatal vitamins ...

Customer Question

What are the pros and cons of taking prenatal vitamins in place of a multi vitamin when there is no chance of a pregnancy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 10 years ago.
Multivitam capsule contains all the essential Vitamins and minerals that are used as a supplement for a healthy individual with no special circumstances. While on the other hand Pre natal vitamins target special needs of a mother for their nutrition and proper growth of the baby. Pre natal vitamins have almost 2-3 times the folic acid and 2 times the amount of Iron than required by a non-pregnant person. This is not required in normal course. Moreover, prenatal vitamins donot carry other essential minerals like Calcium, sodium etc becaouse the capsule is already bulky and can have only limited supplements. So I would advise for a non pregnant person to take normal Multi vitamins and not prenatal ones

Please ACCEPT the reply (by pressing the GREEN accept button), and
give a BONUS if it was useful. If you need more information, just let me know.

Regards

Dr. Gupta