Pamela, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  27yrs R.N. experience; Nurse consultant, home visit nurse, ortho, cardiac, med/surg, O.B./nursery

why does wine make me sneeze

Customer Question

When I drink certain wines I have a sneezing fit and become very congested. Why is this
Category: Health
Expert:  Pamela replied 10 years ago.

Do you find that you get more congested and sneeze when you drink red wine versus white wine?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Pamela's Post: No it is with both varieties but not all the time.
Expert:  Pamela replied 10 years ago.

Good morning,

It is a very interesting question that you ask. Some people have allergic reaction that can be quite serious when drinking wine or beer in particular.

Some people like yourself have an annoying sneeze when drinking wine.

Histamine and other substances may also cause problems

Histamine can trigger sneezing, runny nose and sometimes wheeze, stomach upset and headache.

Although the actual amounts vary from wine to wine, in general there is more histamine in red than white wines, and more in shiraz than cabernet. Some challenge studies suggest that antihistamines may reduce the severity of problems after wine, but as the challenge was equivalent to only one glass,

these medicines probably won't prevent a hangover! Others substances within wine may also cause problems to some unlucky individuals, but these are not well defined.

Please read on in the website as it also gives information and insite why other symptoms ocur and how to overcome them.

Hope that this has helped explain the cause of sneezing you are experiencing with wine. If I can be of further help, please let me know.

Clicking on the “ACCEPT” button validates your acceptance of the information provided. Clicking on the “BONUS” tab assures me that I have been of assistance and value to you and is most appreciated. Your FEEDBACK is important.