Kerry
Kerry, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  35 years in Nursing: OB/GYN, Peds, Oncology, hospice, Ortho, Neuro, Addiction, Recovery, Geriatrics,
169559

Arm numbness when sitting down for long periods of time

SYMPTOMS:
Whenever I sit down for fairly long periods of time, my left arm becomes numb. I cannot control my fingers when typing on the computer. It also makes it hard for me to breathe. There is also a pain under my left arm when this happens.

Whenever I lie down for a while and relax (watch tv), my circulation comes back. But if I go back to the computer and sit down again, the pain and numbness come right back whether it is recreational time or work time at the computer. I sit at the computer for my job.

MY DESCRIPTION/BACKGROUND:
I am 5'2" and I weigh 95 lbs. I have a small frame. I am a 35 year-old African American female. I have a Pituitary Adenoma (micro adenoma).   My sex drive is almost non-existent. My last two menstrual cycles were January 2006 and August 1, 2006.

I would consider myself a workaholic, and a worrier, with high self-inflicted stress. I am trying to contol my emotions of fear and concern, but things seem to overwhelm me easily. I do not exercise at all--probably because I am not the best with time management, which causes more stress.

I eat pretty healthy: no pork or shellfish; I love fruits and vegetables. I do not smoke. I have had no children and I have a tilted?/inverted uterus.

Whether I am stressed or not, the numbness/pain comes (when sitting down). Stress does increase the numbness. Whether I am sitting in the car or in a chair, it comes. When I sit on a fluffy cushion in the car, I rarely get the numbness. If I lie on my left side too long, I get numb in my arm.

This condition started in April 2006 under high stress. I was typing and suddenly I couldn't control my fingers. There was a sudden burst of pain/heat and then my fingers went haywire. My left arm shook and then flopped down by my side. I couldn't move it. I went to the ER and I had CT scan which only showed white leasions in the area of my brain related to migraines which I suffer from. I was not having a migraine at the time and I cannot relate those two symptoms (numbness and migraines)---I can only connect my sitting down for periods of time and the numbness.

I was upset because it seemed as if the ER doctor ruled it out as a migraine issue once he learned I suffered from them.

My blood pressure in the ER was high. I grind my teeth in my sleep. I used to have frequent migraines until I did a cleanse and now I rarely get them. I would say I have a migraine perhaps once every two months compared to 3-4 times a week before I cleansed.

When I did the cleanse in June 2005, a lot of horrible smelling feces---pounds of it---came out. I also had intestinal worms (looked like spaghetti) and lots of mucus came out. After that cleanse in June 2005, I did not have a migraine headache until October 2005, and that was only because I was on the road a lot for my job and my diet was extremely poor.

I was diagnosed with Pituitary Adenoma in 1990 and my doctor gave me Parlodel (Bromocriptine?). Symptoms: I was lactating and I did not have a period, but I was not pregnant. I was also an emotional wreck and had to leave college. My prolactin level was 147 and my cholesterol was at 209 at that time.

I took only 1/8 of the tiny Parlodel pill and my head felt like it was going to explode---I was screaming in pain and was rushed to the ER. My doctor wanted me to try it again and I never did so. For two years after that incident, I had similar experiences--it would even interrupt my motor skills (walking, talking, etc.). Those experiences decreased in pain as the months went by until I did not have those episodes at all.
Category: Health
Expert:  Kerry replied 10 years ago.

This was happening to me too. I saw a doctor, and they referred me to a physical therapist.

The numbness is possibly from a pinched nerve in your shoulder. The weight of your arm when you are at the computer or otherwise sitting up, causes the pressure and then the pinching or inflammation of the nerves in the shoulder.

What helped me?

I had an ergonomic study done. I bought a computer chair that supports my elbow/arm weight while not forcing my shoulder to support the weight for long periods. The difference was like night and day. I had less discomfort within two days and within 10 days I didn't have another bit of problem.

Kerry