Lori, Health Advisor
Experience:  16 yrs experience with a variety of complicated medical issues. Exercise and Nutrition Enthusiast.

should you pop a mouth ulcer

Customer Question

i have a really sore mouth ulcer, i have read that you can pop it, is that true?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Is this the first one you've had? If you've had them in the past, have you had a doctor look at them and give you a diagnosis?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: hi, thanks for getting back to me. this is not the first ulcer i've had. infact i am quite prone to them. unfortunately i tend to get very severe ones, where the pain is unbelievable. i often wake up during the night with the pain. i find bonjella works to soothe the pain for 20 minutes. i have consulted a pharmacist who prescribed me orabase, which does help for a while. i have had the current ulcer for 5 days. fingers crossed you can help me!
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

I don't see any indication that this will speed the healing process, and it might make it worse by exposing the underlying "crater" that forms. If you get more than three a year, see your doctor because there are a couple of prescription drugs that can help. Also try cankermelt, which is over the counter. It's more expensive than orabase, but it is supposed to really speed the healing process 1-4 days. I am including a link for you to read some user testimonials.