Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae

small knot in the front of my ear

Hi, I have what feels like a small knot in the front of my ear and it only hurts when touched. I also have some minor swelling right under my ear which feel like one of my glands. I have also experienced some lightheadedness. I am female and 31 years old. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 7 years ago.

Hello

Since when you noticed this knot?

Is it increasing in size?

colour of knot?

Exact size??

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: I noticed this knot a few days ago. it has not increased in size and only hurts to the touch. the swollen gland under the ear only hurts to the touch too. i have also experienced being very tired all of the time. I thought my light-headedness might have been from the knot pushing on my ear. the knot is directly in front of the small nub that people sometimes get pierced.
Just to clarify is the knot in front of ear lobule (lower part of ear)on face?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: no, in front of the small cartilage connected to cheek

Is this hard in consistency?

Is this reddish in colour?

What is size?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: yes its hard, feels like a knot. it has no color and is not seen from just looking at the skin. you only know its there when touched. it is the size of a small pea

Hello

The cartilage you described is called Tragus.The area between Tragus and cheeks has many sebaceous glands.So possibly this is an staphylococcus infection of sebaceous glands in that area called furuncle(boil)

Small boils may subside and go without any treatment. You can ease pain by covering the boil with a flannel soaked in hot water. Do this for 30 minutes, 3-4 times a day.

If the pain is not subsided you should consult your doctor to consider antibiotics .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: do you think it has anything to do with the swelling from the gland under it?
Well adjacent lymph nodes do get swelled during an infection.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr AMIT MUNJAL's Post: could that also be the cause of the lightheadedness

Hello

The light headedness can be a result of knot causing irritation to external auditory canal due to its pressure effects.

Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience: B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae